- 1 tbsp. natural soy-based butter spread
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 leeks (tops trimmed, washed thoroughly), sliced very thin
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup burdock, washed and sliced into very thin rounds
- One 1-inch piece of kombu (a thick, dark-green seaweed)
- 5 cups chicken-flavored vegetable broth (No-Chicken Broth)
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. ground turmeric
- 3 tbsp. scallions, thinly sliced
Heat butter substitute spread, onion and leeks in a medium saucepan over medium-high flame. Stir together and cook for 2 minutes. Add lentils, bay leaves, burdock and kombu. Stir and cook 2 more minutes. Add broth. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 30 minutes. Add sea salt and turmeric; cook one minute. Garnish with fresh scallions and serve. Serves 6.
Tip: When washing leeks, pull back the layers while rinsing. Leeks are raised in sand, which may get trapped between the layers.