- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup celery, diced
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ¼ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (may also use vegetable broth)
- 1 cup purified water
- Three 15-oz. cans low-sodium (or no-salt) black beans, rinsed and drained
- One 15-oz. can low-sodium stewed or diced tomatoes
Heat oil in medium stockpot over medium heat. Add celery, onion, and bell pepper. Cook until tender, approximately 10 minutes. Add garlic and next 4 ingredients; cook 3 minutes. Add broth, water, beans, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15–30 minutes. Serve hot.
Serving Size: 1 cup; Calories: 345; Fiber: 21g; Protein: 22g.