- 1 head red leaf lettuce
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 mango (peeled, pitted and sliced)
- ½ jicama, cut into thin strips
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 clove fresh garlic, chopped
- 1ounce of shallots (or spring onions), chopped
- ½ tbsp. honey
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 avocado (pitted, peeled and sliced)
To prepare the greens, tear lettuce into bite-sized pieces. Add mango, jicama and red onion; toss well. To prepare the dressing, combine olive oil and vinegar in a food processor. Add parsley, cilantro, garlic, shallots, honey, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. Pour just enough dressing to moisten the salad and toss gently. Garnish with avocado and serve.
Tip: It is important when eating salads to go easy on the dressing, because that is where most of the fat comes from. Learn to make salads more interesting so the dressing is not as important.
Serving size: ⅙ recipe. Calories: 301; Fiber: 9g; Protein: 4g.