TAG | Fish Oil Supplements
There are hundreds of omega-3 fish oil blends on the market today, but fish oil supplements vary significantly as far as the levels of omega-3 in each softgel, the source of these omega oils, and the overall purity of the blend. So how do you pick?
A few Fish Factors to Consider
We recommend you use a quick three-point checklist for picking your omega-3 supplement. Think of it as the PPS system: Potency, Purity, Source.
- Potency: Check the label on your bottle of fish oil softgels for the total milligrams of omega-3, not the total milligrams of oil in each serving. This will be listed in the supplement facts a few lines down and may appear separately as DHA and EPA omega-3’s, two very beneficial omega types.
- Purity: With all the concern about potential heavy metal (such as mercury) and toxin contamination of whole fish, you want to make sure that your fish oil is rigorously purified and independently third-party tested. Look for a high 5-star purity rating on your fish oil.
- Source: Make sure your fish oils are all cold-water sourced, as these fish types offer you the highest levels of omega-3. Also look for krill oil plus omega-3 fish oil. Krill are a great source of omega-3 and among the most abundant crustaceans in our oceans. The oil derived from krill arrives in a specific and highly absorbable phospholipid form.
Why Choose Krill?
Krill are omega-3 and antioxidant powerhouses. The oil from these small creatures is “pre-emulsified” (more easily incorporated into your cells) and packs an impressive nutritional punch:†
- Krill oil occurs naturally in phospholipid omega-3 form, a highly absorbable form of omega-3 for ease of use and incorporation in cells throughout the body. † Phospholipid levels in our cells decline with age, yet they are needed to help maintain cell membranes, and support skin and brain health.†
- Krill feed on high-antioxidant plant sources and so contain the powerful antioxidant astaxanthin. The beauty of nature’s food chain makes this astaxanthin available to you in the krill oil you take.†
ReNew Life’s new Norwegian Gold Krill Omega combines our highest purity fish oils with the power of added krill oil for an ultra-potent omega-3 blend. Just one small softgel a day (no more handfuls of large softgels that can contain up to 50% “filler” oils) provides you with 2x more omega-3 than leading krill oil brands. Norwegian Gold Krill Omega also offers you the highest third-party tested 5-star purity rating plus added antioxidants astaxanthin and vitamin D!
If you’ve done some research into fish oils and omega 3s, you’ve probably run across the terms EPA and DHA. These are the specific omega-3 fatty acids that offer the heart, brain, eye, nervous system, and digestive health benefits fish oils are so celebrated for.
However, it is EPA specifically that has researchers so excited about the power of omega-3s to support heart health. A recent clinical study found that an intake of 2,000 mg of EPA daily helped to lower triglycerides, or harmful fats in the bloodstream, by 19.7% in just 12 weeks, and without raising harmful LDL cholesterol. ǂ1 High triglycerides are a major heart health risk marker, so news that you can help control them with heart-healthy EPA is big news indeed!
An EPA-Only Fish Oil
Almost all fish oil blends contain both EPA and DHA omega-3s. While both are very beneficial, it is recommended you take an EPA-only fish oil if you’re looking to focus on heart health and control your triglyceride levels.
To get the optimum 2,000 mg of daily EPA that helps lower triglycerides, you’d have to take as many as 11 standard DHA/EPA fish oil supplements, and you’d be getting a lot of DHA as well. An EPA-only fish oil like Norwegian Gold EPA 1000 Omega provides an exceptionally high concentration of 1,000 mg EPA per softgel—and only EPA—so you get the targeted heart health benefits of this omega 3 type. ǂ
Norwegian Gold EPA 1000 is the highest-potency EPA-only fish oil to be offered in health food stores, and now you can get all the benefits of this pure fish oil right here:
- Highest heart-healthy EPA potency at 1,000 mg per softgel
- Enteric coated for no fishy burping and enhanced absorption
- Awarded the top 5-star IFOS purity rating against heavy metals, PCBs, and contaminants
- PLUS 1,000 IU of added vitamin D3 to support immunity! ǂ
1 Am J Cardiol 2011;108:682-90.