TAG | 3 Fatty Acids
If you’ve done some research into fish oils and omega 3s, you’ve probably run across the terms EPA and DHA. These are the specific omega-3 fatty acids that offer the heart, brain, eye, nervous system, and digestive health benefits fish oils are so celebrated for.
However, it is EPA specifically that has researchers so excited about the power of omega-3s to support heart health. A recent clinical study found that an intake of 2,000 mg of EPA daily helped to lower triglycerides, or harmful fats in the bloodstream, by 19.7% in just 12 weeks, and without raising harmful LDL cholesterol. ǂ1 High triglycerides are a major heart health risk marker, so news that you can help control them with heart-healthy EPA is big news indeed!
An EPA-Only Fish Oil
Almost all fish oil blends contain both EPA and DHA omega-3s. While both are very beneficial, it is recommended you take an EPA-only fish oil if you’re looking to focus on heart health and control your triglyceride levels.
To get the optimum 2,000 mg of daily EPA that helps lower triglycerides, you’d have to take as many as 11 standard DHA/EPA fish oil supplements, and you’d be getting a lot of DHA as well. An EPA-only fish oil like Norwegian Gold EPA 1000 Omega provides an exceptionally high concentration of 1,000 mg EPA per softgel—and only EPA—so you get the targeted heart health benefits of this omega 3 type. ǂ
Norwegian Gold EPA 1000 is the highest-potency EPA-only fish oil to be offered in health food stores, and now you can get all the benefits of this pure fish oil right here:
- Highest heart-healthy EPA potency at 1,000 mg per softgel
- Enteric coated for no fishy burping and enhanced absorption
- Awarded the top 5-star IFOS purity rating against heavy metals, PCBs, and contaminants
- PLUS 1,000 IU of added vitamin D3 to support immunity! ǂ
1 Am J Cardiol 2011;108:682-90.
The omega-3s in fish oil are some of the most powerful heart support nutrients you can take and many of us simply aren’t getting enough of them. In her new PBS health special, Heart of Perfect Health, Brenda Watson reveals that an estimated that 84,000 people a year die from a lack of omega-3 in their diet.
So where do we get omega-3? It’s found in cold water fish such as salmon, sardines, and mackerel, in flax seeds, and in certain nuts such as walnuts. Experts recommend 1,000 mg or more of omega-3 each day for optimum heart health support, an amount that can be difficult to get from diet alone.
Many are now turning to a fish oil supplement to help boost their omega-3 intake. Omega-3 fatty acids play a crucial role in the overall health of the body.ǂ They are integrated into the membranes of almost every type of cell in the body, helping to balance the excessive omega-6 fatty acids that come from the Standard American Diet (SAD).
Scientific research confirms that Omega-3 supplementation supports heart health by helping to maintain healthy cholesterol, triglyceride and blood pressure levels already in the normal range.ǂ Omega-3s help maintain these key markers by supporting the body’s normal inflammatory response, promoting optimal heart, blood vessel, and joint health.ǂ
Your 4 Point Fish Oil Checklist
Not all omega-3 fish oils are created equal. Use this checklist to ensure you are getting the most heart health benefits out of your fish oil:
- Potency. Make sure each fish oil capsule contains at least 1,000 mg of omega-3, not just 1,000 mg of fish oil. Reaching your recommended 1,000+ mg of daily omega-3 is pretty tough to do if you have to take a whole handful of fish or krill oil capsules with a low omega 3 content.
- Absorption. You are only what you absorb. Choose a fish oil that is enteric coated to help deliver omega-3s to the intestines where they are absorbed.ǂ Enteric coating also reduces the fishy burping or repeat you can get with fish oil supplements.
- Vitamin D3. Vitamin D3 helps to promote the body’s healthy inflammatory response as well as supports the immune system and strong bones.ǂ A fish oil with added vitamin D3 is ideal because this vitamin is best absorbed when taken with healthy fats, such as omega 3s.ǂ
- Highest Purity. Look for a fish oil with the International Fish Oil Standards (IFOS) stamp. IFOS is the industry’s most stringent independent certifier of fish oil quality that promises you aren’t getting the mercury, PCBs, and contaminants that show up in certain fish oil sources.
Norwegian Gold EPA 1000 meets all the above criteria plus it contains a pure blend of omega-3 EPA , which has been clinically researched for its specific heart health benefits.ǂ