- 1-2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- ½ medium sweet onion, chopped into large pieces
- ¼ -½ cup slivered almonds or pine nuts
- 1 cup fresh red bell pepper, chopped into large pieces
- 1 cup Ancient Harvest® quinoa
- 2 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock or water
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil and/or parsley, finely chopped
In a large, deep sauté pan add olive oil, garlic and onion. Sauté on medium heat until onion is translucent. Add quinoa and cook for about 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add stock; cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until quinoa has absorbed all the liquid (approximately 15-20 minutes; quinoa should fluff with fork). Remove from heat and set aside. Add vegetables and herbs into cooked quinoa. Cover until ready to serve. (The vegetables and fresh herbs will blend with the cooked quinoa but will remain crisp.)
About Quinoa: Quinoa is a gluten-free grain and an excellent source of both soluble and insoluble fiber. It is also high in protein. You can buy quinoa in bulk, but buying it pre-rinsed and dried allows for easier cooking. You may use traditional, red or black quinoa for this recipe.
Tip: This dish is delicious on its own or served with chicken, fish or salad. You may wish to double the recipe and keep leftovers in refrigerator for another meal or snack. Quinoa is gluten-free.