- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1½ cups dry red wine, such as Chianti
- 2 lbs. plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
- One 6-oz. can tomato paste
- ½ cup low-sodium beef broth
Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, carrots, and celery until just browned (about 10-15 minutes), stirring occasionally. Add ground turkey; cook until no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to slow cooker. Add wine to the pan and cook over high heat until it reduces to half its volume. Pour into crock pot and add tomatoes, tomato paste, and broth. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Tip: This sauce is delicious when served with spaghetti squash or brown rice pasta!
Serving size: ¼ recipe; Calories 201; Fiber 2g; Protein 8g.