Now that we’ve covered the general guidelines for healthy eating during a cleanse, here is a helpful list of recommended foods to eat throughout the day, including suggested substitutions for some of the more common foods shown to cause ‘sensitivity’ or discomfort.
- Sprouted Grain Breads: Millet, amaranth, rice, spelt or rye. (Typically, sprouted wheat breads may be reintroduced after a period of weeks on yeast-free grains.)
- Nut Butters: Nut butters such as almond butter may be eaten with breads listed above, or with carrot and celery sticks.
- Butter, Clarified Butter: Butter (preferably organic) and clarified butter (also known as ghee) may be consumed in moderation.
- Steel-cut Oats/Oatmeal: Steel-cut oats are unprocessed (unlike instant oatmeal) as well as more flavorful.
- Fruits: Granny Smith apples, kiwi, yellow grapefruit (not ruby red), unsweetened cranberries, lemons, and fresh pineapple, in moderation. (Consumed in small amounts, pineapple may help support healthy levels of intestinal bacteria.)
- Yeast-free, Unsweetened Cereals: Opt for natural cereals with no fruit juice or other added sweeteners.
- Whole-cooked Millet: This makes a great breakfast cereal.
- Turkey Breakfast Patties/Strips
- Eggs: Natural/organic are best.
- Lean Protein: Chicken, turkey, beef, fish (deep-sea white fish and salmon are particularly good).
- Vegetables: All fresh vegetables (raw or slightly steamed) – EAT PLENTY!
- Sea Vegetables: Agar, arame, dulse, hijiki, kelp, kombu, nori, sea palm, wakame. (Mix with land vegetables.)
- Red-skinned Potatoes: May be consumed in small amounts.
- Beans & Legumes: Including black beans, navy beans, pinto beans, and any dried beans.
- Oils: Cold-pressed olive oil, flaxseed oil or coconut oil.
- Shiitake Mushrooms
- Plain, Organic Yogurt
- Unsweetened Kefir: May be flavored with unsweetened carob.
- Pumpkin or Sunflower Seeds: Preferably raw.
- Raw Veggie Sticks: Carrot, celery, broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, any green vegetables.
- Almonds or Almond Butter: Excellent with veggie sticks.
- Freshly Popped Popcorn: Consume sparingly, may be flavored with fresh butter and sea salt.
- Vegetable Juices: Only green juices. Lemon or Granny Smith apples may be added to taste.
- Herbal Teas: Including chamomile, peppermint, pau d’arco.
- Purified Water: At least half your body weight in ounces daily.
- Green Tea
Condiments & Sweeteners:
- Liquid Amino Acids: Use in place of soy sauce.
- Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- All Spices (as tolerated)
- Stevia: A naturally sweet herb.
- SweetLIFE™ Sugar Substitute: A natural sweetener made from Lo Han fruit.
Dairy/Wheat Flour Substitutions:
- Rice Milk
- Almond Milk
- Rice/almond Cheeses
- Goat Milk, Cheeses & Kefir
- Soy (if tolerated)
- Rice Flour, Spelt Flour, Rye Flour, Buckwheat Flour, Millet
Next in our 3-part Cleansing Diets Blog Series: The Yeast Cleansing Diet.