CAT | Herbal Cleansing
You’ve almost made it through January, but it feels like spring is light years away. The holidays are over, reality has set in, and suddenly you want to trade in all those New Year’s resolutions for a weekend of pizza and couch surfing. Here’s a better idea: reboot your health with a full body cleanse.‡
Every day we face an onslaught of harmful toxins from our air, food, water, household cleaners—you name it. Over time, those toxins can build up in the body and cause our health to decline. Natural body cleansing can help reduce our toxic burden by helping the body more efficiently eliminate toxins and waste.‡ Here are three good reasons to cleanse:
- Jumpstart Weight Loss: Do your 2015 health resolutions include shedding those extra pounds you gained over the holidays? One of the best ways to jumpstart a weight loss program is with cleansing.‡ Studies show toxins are commonly stored in fat cells in the body, so the more fat cells you have, the more toxins your body may retain. As you lose weight, toxins are drawn out and released into the bloodstream where they can slow metabolism and make it harder to burn fat, which is why regular internal cleansing is often recommended.‡
- Better Digestion: A buildup of toxins in the body can overwhelm our natural cleansing organs, especially when the bowel (colon) is sluggish. Cleansing the colon promotes regularity and helps purge unwanted toxins and waste, clearing the way for other organs to function properly.‡ Look for a full body cleanse with an added colon cleanse to support bowel health and promote at least one healthy bowel movement daily.‡
- Support for Your Natural Detox Channels: The channels of elimination that help filter and remove harmful toxins and waste from the body include: the blood, bowel, kidneys, lymphatic system, lungs, liver and skin. If any one of these channels is not functioning properly, overall health may suffer, which is why many natural health practitioners recommend a total body cleanse at the start of each new season to help the body cope with its constant task of eliminating toxins and waste.‡
Up to 80 percent of your immune system can be found in your gut, which means a properly functioning digestive system is the foundation for optimal health. Still, digestive diseases affect nearly 70 million Americans every year, resulting in more than 20 million hospitalizations and close to 250,000 deaths.i What can we do to change that?
At the heart of a healthy digestive system is a healthy colon (or large intestine). The colon is one of the seven channels of elimination and its primary function is to eliminate unwanted waste from the body. However, an unhealthy or sluggish colon can’t perform at its peak and may allow harmful toxins to build up inside the intestinal lining. This can result in a number of health problems affecting the colon and beyond. Here are 6 ways to love your colon every day:
- Colon hydrotherapy: In order for your digestive system and your whole body to function optimally, toxins that have accumulated must be purged from the system. Natural colon hydrotherapy is a safe and effective way to help cleanse the system and improve digestive health and elimination.
- Eat fermented foods:Fermented foods such as yogurt, kefir, kombucha and sauerkraut help nourish the beneficial bacteria in the colon to support healthy digestive function. In addition, they provide support for the delicate intestinal barrier.
- Eat more fiber:A healthy colon requires bulk to eliminate regularly, and fiber helps provide that bulk. Aim for at least 35 grams a day from non-starchy veggies and low-sugar fruits. If you have trouble getting enough fiber in your diet, try adding a natural flax-based fiber supplement that provides a balance of both soluble and insoluble fiber. Avoid fibers that could be binding, such as psyllium, as they can leave the colon dehydrated.
- Drink plenty of water: Properly hydrating the colon will promote regular peristalsis (the natural muscle contractions that move food through the intestines) and help ease elimination. Try to drink at least half your body weight in ounces of purified water each day.
- Get plenty of exercise: Regular exercise promotes healthy circulation and blood flow, which in turn supports the healthy function of your colon and your entire digestive system. Aim for at least 30 minutes of physical activity five times a week.
Consider an herbal colon cleanse: A natural colon cleanse formula made with fiber, magnesium hydroxide (to help hydrate the bowel) and herbal ingredients supports the body’s natural cleansing processes and promotes regular, healthy elimination.‡