CAT | Fish Oils
Beneficial Omega-3 fatty acids such as those found in fish provide numerous health benefits. In clinical studies, Omega-3s have been shown to promote healthy heart and brain function, as well as support the nervous system, digestive system and other organs.* Now, scientists believe the healthy oils may provide additional support for patients with Alzheimer’s disease.
A team of experts from the Oregon Health & Science University Department of Neurology recently conducted a randomized placebo-controlled pilot trial to evaluate the effects of supplementation with Omega-3 fatty acids and alpha lipoic acid (an antioxidant) in Alzheimer’s patients. After a 12-month treatment period, they found that participants taking a combination of Omega-3 fatty acids plus ALA experienced reduced cognitive and functional decline.
While further research is planned to evaluate the combination as a possible treatment for the disease, the results of the study are encouraging. “The ultimate outcome is to be able to look at these (treatments) as a potential preventive formula—if someone could take a gram or two grams a day of fish oil before signs of the disease, it’s preventive in that it’s either decreasing the chance of turnover to Alzheimer’s disease or it’s delaying its progression. And I like the idea of using something that is cheap, accessible and easy to take,” said Lynne Shinto, N.D., assistant professor of neurology and the project’s lead investigator.
According to the OHSU study abstract, oxidative stress, inflammation, and increased cholesterol levels are all mechanisms that have been associated with Alzheimer’s disease pathology, and several studies have reported a decreased risk of the disease associated with fish oil consumption.
There are hundreds of omega-3 fish oil blends on the market today, but fish oil supplements vary significantly as far as the levels of omega-3 in each softgel, the source of these omega oils, and the overall purity of the blend. So how do you pick?
A few Fish Factors to Consider
We recommend you use a quick three-point checklist for picking your omega-3 supplement. Think of it as the PPS system: Potency, Purity, Source.
- Potency: Check the label on your bottle of fish oil softgels for the total milligrams of omega-3, not the total milligrams of oil in each serving. This will be listed in the supplement facts a few lines down and may appear separately as DHA and EPA omega-3’s, two very beneficial omega types.
- Purity: With all the concern about potential heavy metal (such as mercury) and toxin contamination of whole fish, you want to make sure that your fish oil is rigorously purified and independently third-party tested. Look for a high 5-star purity rating on your fish oil.
- Source: Make sure your fish oils are all cold-water sourced, as these fish types offer you the highest levels of omega-3. Also look for krill oil plus omega-3 fish oil. Krill are a great source of omega-3 and among the most abundant crustaceans in our oceans. The oil derived from krill arrives in a specific and highly absorbable phospholipid form.
Why Choose Krill?
Krill are omega-3 and antioxidant powerhouses. The oil from these small creatures is “pre-emulsified” (more easily incorporated into your cells) and packs an impressive nutritional punch:†
- Krill oil occurs naturally in phospholipid omega-3 form, a highly absorbable form of omega-3 for ease of use and incorporation in cells throughout the body. † Phospholipid levels in our cells decline with age, yet they are needed to help maintain cell membranes, and support skin and brain health.†
- Krill feed on high-antioxidant plant sources and so contain the powerful antioxidant astaxanthin. The beauty of nature’s food chain makes this astaxanthin available to you in the krill oil you take.†
ReNew Life’s new Norwegian Gold Krill Omega combines our highest purity fish oils with the power of added krill oil for an ultra-potent omega-3 blend. Just one small softgel a day (no more handfuls of large softgels that can contain up to 50% “filler” oils) provides you with 2x more omega-3 than leading krill oil brands. Norwegian Gold Krill Omega also offers you the highest third-party tested 5-star purity rating plus added antioxidants astaxanthin and vitamin D!