CAT | Fiber Supplements
Last week, America’s favorite TV doctor talked cleansing, detoxification, and gut health, three topics we’re pretty passionate about at ReNew Life. If you missed those shows on cleansing, or if you’re simply wondering how you can support your gut defenses for better energy and digestion, here are a few points to note.
Let’s Talk Energy and Weight Loss
Two of America’s top “obsessions,” right? So many of us are addicted to junk food, energy drinks, and processed sugary snacks to keep our energy levels normal throughout the day. Unfortunately, these very substances and many others we eat and drink are seen as toxins by the body, and toxins only serve to make us more sluggish. Toxins can also stand in the way of your weight loss goals while detoxing can help reduce bloating, water retention, and help shed those stubborn pounds with diet and exercise.
- Make it your goal to cleanse at least twice a year (and more often if needed) to flush out toxins and waste. ǂ There are many pure ingredient internal cleanses available to make finding the right one for you a cinch.
- Cleansing/detoxing is also one of the fastest ways you can help your body reclaim its natural energy. ǂ
What a Strong, Balanced Gut Will Do For Your Health
Your gut is your health center. It’s home to up to 80% of your immune cells and half of your body’s nerve cells, a “second brain” that produces most of the feel-good hormone serotonin you need for a stable mood and well-being.
Certain supplements help fortify your gut defenses:
- A potent, multi-strain probiotic with at least 50 billion cultures per capsule helps replenish the good bacteria in your gut. ǂ These bacteria produce vitamins, digest food, and help crowd out harmful bacteria, keeping you and your immune system healthy. ǂ Experts are recommending upwards of 50 billion cultures daily because we have 100 trillion bacteria in our guts. Potency counts.
- The amino acid L-glutamine is available in intestinal renewal supplements that help soothe and support a healthy, strong intestinal lining. ǂ L-glutamine is a great energy booster for gut cells that make up this healthy intestinal lining. A strong intestinal lining that doesn’t “leak” helps keep toxins and too-large particles out of the bloodstream.
Adding prebiotic foods to your diet such as flax, bananas, garlic, onions, leeks, artichoke, asparagus, and chicory root helps “feed” the beneficial bacteria in your gut. Prebiotics are also available in gut-nourishing fiber supplements as FOS (fructooligosaccharides).
We are huge advocates of acacia fiber here at ReNew Life, and it was great to see a recent famous TV doctor tout its health benefits.
Acacia—Your Waistline’s Best Friend
Fiber is a wonderful weight loss aid because it curbs your appetite by helping you feel full. Acacia fiber is made from the sap of the Acacia senegal tree. The sap is dried and ground into a fine, crystalline powder that dissolves clear and packs a powerful fiber punch. At 5 grams of fiber per 5.6 gram serving (one tablespoon), it is almost pure fiber but not the type of fiber we think of when we envision bowls of bran flakes.
Acacia is a soluble fiber and one of the most nutritious fiber types for your digestive system. ǂ Here are just a few of the many benefits acacia offers:
- Acacia helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels, which may promote successful weight management.ǂ
- Acacia supports normal blood sugar levels against spikes and crashes that can prompt irresponsible eating. This fiber slows the rate at which your body absorbs sugar from foods, promoting healthy blood sugar levels ǂ
- Acacia helps your body detox by working like the soft side of a kitchen sponge and soaking up toxins in the digestive tract so they can be eliminated. Detoxing with acacia supports bowel health, digestive health, and your overall toxin load. ǂ
All these benefits and acacia is also a great heart health booster! ǂ But the big reason we think acacia is so fantastic is that you won’t even know it’s there. It mixes totally clear into foods and beverages and will not alter their taste or texture. A shaker of acacia makes a great addition to any mealtime—simply sprinkle it on foods and in drinks to boost your healthy fiber intake.