CAT | Digestive Enzymes
Yesterday we celebrated our moms, but it was also an important day for all women. Mother’s Day marks the beginning of National Women’s Health Week in the U.S.—a weeklong observance dedicated to helping women everywhere take steps toward living “longer, healthier and happier” lives by making important changes like eating right, exercising and taking care of their bodies with regular check-ups and preventive screenings.
Because a properly functioning digestive system provides the foundation for optimal health, ReNew Life encourages women to pay particular attention to their digestive health this week, beginning with making Brenda Watson’s H.O.P.E. Formula part of their daily routine. The 4-part daily nutritional plan combines high fiber, healthy Omega-3 fats, probiotics and enzymes—all of which play an essential role in helping to establish and maintain a healthy gut and, as a result, a healthy body. A total-body herbal cleanse at least twice yearly is also recommended to enhance digestion, energy and overall well being.
Have you heard about enzyme supplements and wonder if you need one? Chances are you might—especially if you eat a lot of cooked and heavily processed foods. Without the natural enzymes obtained from raw, whole foods, the body has a hard time breaking down the food you eat and absorbing its nutrients. As a result, undigested or partially digested food in the intestines can ferment and cause gas, bloating, heartburn, indigestion and other problems. The following quiz will help you determine if you may benefit from adding a natural digestive enzyme supplement to your diet. Put a 1 next to each question if the answer is Yes, 0 for No.
1. Do you experience stomach pain after eating a high-protein meal?
2. Are you excessively tired or fatigued after eating a high-protein meal?
3. Do you have thin, fine or brittle hair?
4. Do you have white lines or ridges in your nail beds?
5. Are you intolerant to cold temperatures or have a sensation of always being cold?
6. Do you have low muscle mass?
7. Do you have occasional swelling of the hands, feet, ankles, or knees?
8. Do you have high blood pressure?
9. Do you have skin issues such as dermatitis?
10. Do you have irritability or anxiety?
11. Do you heal slowly from wounds?
12. Do you have frequent abdominal gas, bloating or flatulence?
13. Do you have frequent belching?
14. Do you have abdominal discomfort or bloating after eating starches, vegetables, beans or grains?
15. Do you commonly have diarrhea?
16. Do you have dry skin?
17. Do you have brittle fingernails?
18. Do you suffer from occasional or mild depression?
19. Do you have greasy or oily stool?
20. Are you frequently constipated?
21. Do you have dandruff or an itchy scalp?
22. Do you have problems concentrating at work or school?
23. Do you have dry mouth or excessive thirst?
24. Do you have frequent urination?
25. Do you crave fatty foods?
OVERALL SCORE: If you scored 13 or more, you may benefit from a quality digestive enzyme supplement. Look for a formula with high amounts of Protease, Amylase, Lipase and Cellulase.
- A score of 5 or more for Questions 1 to 11 indicates possible difficulty with the digestion of proteins. Look for an enzyme supplement with a high amount of PROTEASE.
- A score of 3 or more for Questions 12 to 15 indicates possible difficulty with the digestion of carbohydrates, starches and fiber. Look for an enzyme supplement with a high amount of AMYLASE and CELLULASE.
- A score of 5 or more for Questions 16 to 25 indicates possible difficulty with the digestion of fat. Look for an enzyme supplement with a high amount of LIPASE.