At least 70% of your immune system is in your gut, which means a properly functioning digestive system benefits your overall well-being. At the heart of a healthy digestive system is a healthy colon (or large intestine). Its primary function is to eliminate waste through regular, healthy bowel movements, which in turn helps prevent harmful toxins from building up inside the body. Here are 5 ways to love your colon every day:
- Try fermented foods: Fermented foods such as yogurt, plain kefir (a fermented milk beverage), miso and tempeh help nourish the beneficial bacteria (or probiotics) in the colon to support healthy digestive function. In addition, they provide added support for the delicate intestinal barrier.
- Eat plenty of fiber: A healthy colon needs bulk to eliminate regularly, and dietary fiber helps provide that bulk. Aim for at least 35 grams a day from fruit, non-starchy veggies, whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds, along with a daily fiber supplement.
- Drink plenty of water: Making sure your colon stays hydrated supports peristalsis (the natural muscle contractions that move food through the intestines) and helps ease elimination. Try to drink at least half your body weight in ounces of purified water each day.
- Get plenty of exercise: Regular exercise promotes healthy circulation and blood flow, which in turn supports the healthy function of your colon and your entire digestive system. Aim for at least 30 minutes of physical activity five times a week.
- Consider an herbal colon cleanse formula: Cleanse More™ from Renew Life® is a potent herbal formula with natural magnesium that helps relieve occasional constipation without cramping discomfort, and promotes the elimination of waste and toxins to help you feel rejuvenated.*